On their 5th anniversary, Amy Elliotte Dunne went missing. Her husband, Nick, was at the bar he owned with his twin sister, Margo. Their neighbor called him, telling him that the door in their house was open and everything was a mess. An investigation pushed through and it all leads to one suspect, Nick himself. During anniversaries, Amy always set up a treasure hunt, and on that anniversary, Amy did something different.
Nick is the suspect because:
* He lied about the reservation.
* He lied about where he was the morning Amy disappeared.
* He has a mistress, Analie, his 23 years old student.
* His fingerprints are all over the evidence – the purse thrown by the river
* Amy’s diary says it all.
* Noelle Hawthorne, Amy’s bestfriends says so. Amy talks to her about her struggles
* Amy was pregnant, he didn’t know
* Neighbor heard them fighting
* However, according to the investigation, the house mess was staged
What Amy did:
* She wrote diary entries for 7 years (which she wrote for just months) it contains how Nick was very cold to her. She said she bought the gun because she’s afraid of him. She said he poisoned her and she hid the vomit. Just in case
* She staged the crime scene so that it will look like Nick staged it
* She hurts himself then blame someone else
* She sliced her arm to leave blood on the floor
* She hid. Cut her hair. Dyed it. Wore glasses, then put on weight
* She saved money, just enough so she could hide, but it was stolen by other tennant in the inn she was hiding
* She was so penniless that she called Desi to help her. He’s her friendand he’s very devoted to her
* Desi gave her everything but made her a prisoner. One day she had sex with him and made him drink something that knocked him unconscious. Then she killed him
* She came back to Nick because he was announcing (media) that he loves her and she softened. When she came back she blamed Desi, and said she was kidnapped and raped.
Nick and Amy still live together although they are both pretending. Everything changed. Amy got pregnant – making Nick deciding not to expose Amy about how much of a criminal she is. At the last part of the book, they are still staying together.